I’m currently working as a professor of Organization Studies at the Izmir University of Economics.
After a training in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (BSc, MSc, 1986-1994), Physics (1986-1989),
and Developmental Economics (1995-1996), I have practiced software development and management at private companies in Turkey and US (1994-2001). Soon after joining the Computer Science department at Istanbul Bilgi University in 2002 as a lecturer, I have started my PhD studies at the Social Sciences Institute’s Organization Studies programme in 2004, which I have finished in 2009. Since then I have been teaching across undergraduate and graduate programs in business, informatics, and computing.
In recent years my main research focus has been on the social and organizational aspects of innovation in general, and software industry cases in particular. Based on structural features of organizing and knowledge exchange, my studies are concerned with nature and efficiency of collaboration in innovation, knowledge creation, and transfer across individuals and firms; with cases in software development and similar practices in virtual communities. My research approach reflect the inter-disciplinary character of my background: in computing and computational methods, and in organization studies. With this dual background, my research involves application of computational methods to empirical studies regarding collective production and innovation ecosystems, how do such systems sustain, and how people and organizations manage to collaborate and gain advantage in such systems, or why they fail. Subject of these work includes structural features of organizing and knowledge exchange, nature and efficiency of collaboration in knowledge creation and transfer across individuals and firms, and evolution of community features and dynamics over time.
- 2004-2009 PhD, Business Administration/Organization Studies, 2004-2009, Istanbul Bilgi University,
Thesis title: “A Multi-Level Analysis of Inter-Organizational Problem Solving Performance: A Case Study on Open Source Software Innovation Communities”. Advisor: Prof.Dr. Beyza Oba
- 1995-1996 MsC Programme, Developmental Economics, Marmara University, Istanbul,Turkey
- 1992-1994 MsC, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Eastern Mediterranean University, Magusa, Cyprus. Thesis title: “Superchannel formation in ISDNs”. Advisor: Prof. Dr. Derviş Deniz
- 1991-1992 MsC Programme, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
- 1990-1991 990-1991 MsC Programme, Digital Signal and Image Processing,Tampere Institute of Technology, Tampere, Finland
- 1986-1990 BsC, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, </b>, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey. (GPA:3.65 high honour)
- 1986-1989 986-1989 BsC Programme, Physics (second major), Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
- 1983-1986 İzmir Fen Lisesi (İzmir Science Highschool)
- (ACADEMIC) 2016-current, Asst.Prof., Izmir University of Economics, Management Department
- (ACADEMIC) 2009-2016, Asst.Prof., Istanbul Bilgi University, Department of Computer Science
- (ACADEMIC) 2002-2009, Instructor, Istanbul Bilgi University, Department of Computer Science
- (RESEARCH) 2006-2009, Expert Researcher in EURACE FP6 project, TÜBİTAK-UEKAE
- (INDUSTRY) 1999-2002, Senior Software Developer / Expert Systems-Artificial Intelligence, VCOM LLC, Fairfax, Virginia, USA
- (NON-PROFIT) 1998-1999, Project Manager, WWF Turkey
- (INDUSTRY) 1995-1998, Software Architect / Industrial Automation-Decision Support Systems, Otokod Otomasyon Sistemleri Ltd., İstanbul, Turkey
- (INDUSTRY) 1994-1995, IT Systems Integrator, ERSA Foreign Trade Ltd., Istanbul, Turkey
- (RESEARCH) 1992-1994, Research Assistant, Eastern Mediterranean University, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Magusa, Cyprus
- (RESEARCH) 1990-1991, Research Assitant, Tampere Institute of Technology, Digital Signal and Image Processing lab, Tampere, Finland
Organizations and community involvement
- K12 programming education in collaboration with TEGV (2015), Volunteer.
- High School level programming education at Mathematics Village 2016, 2017 Summer schools, Volunteer
- EGOS:(European Group of Organization Studies) member, 2006-current
- INSNA:(International Network for Social Network Analysis), member, 2010-current
- ACM:Association of Computing Machinery, member, 2007-current
- Entrepreneurs Roundtable: young entrepreneurs and venture capital network, Istanbul organizer, 2010-current.
- Technical programme committee member, IEEE SIIT 2015 The 9th International Conference on Standardization and Innovation in Information Technology
- Reviewer, CICLING 2015 16th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics
- Organizer, COLLNET 2011 7. International Conference on Webometrics, Informetrics and Scientometrics (WIS)
- Reviewer, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, 2011-
- Reviewer, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management Journal, 2011-
- Organizer, Open source innovation and free software days, 2006-2011
- Editorial board, Turkish Association of Electrical Engineering Journal (EMO Dergisi), 1990-1994.